Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pay up Sucka

I am a fan of  MMA. That would be mixed martial arts. I have always enjoyed boxing. I won't start the debate over which is better. About two years ago, I decided to buy a UFC pay per view event. I have been hooked ever since. I will purchase and watch every event I can, if I think the card is worth it and I have the money to do so. I like to sit in my own ass print on my own couch. Others may choose to go to a bar or Hooters. I find it cheaper to stay home. Also, I feel sorry for the waitress that has five tables, each with six douchebags, that run her ass in to the ground for four hours and leave her a $12 tip. That's per table, not customer. Disagree? Ask someone that has worked for this kind of establishment before.

Last week, I watched UFC 119, an I was horribly disappointed. I thought the card was good. It just turned out to be lackluster. A fellow Facebooker mentioned something about the suckiness. Don't laugh, that is an awesome word. Anyway, I replied to him. I joked that I wanted to call the president of the UFC and demand my money back. He replied,"Whoa dude! Who pays for that stuff anyway?" Then he posted a link to a website that streams it for free. Illegally, of course. I'm gonna try to explain my feelings on this topic.

First; Why would I want to watch it on a 17" monitor. I have a big ass TV that sits in front of my ass print. I'm not very techy, so I don't have internet hooked up to the TV.  There is also a bigger and better reason that I pay for these events. It is the same reason I buy music. I pay, because it's the right thing to do. These men (and women) train and work their asses off for these competitions. The ultimate prize is, of course, victory. There is also some pay that goes along with it. They don't do it for free. This is their product, like a photographer's photos are a writer's music or literature. They produce it, and should be paid for it. It's really easy to say, "They are all over paid anyway!" Would you say that if you were in the same position? Or, more likely, would you want to "get paid". You and I have had the exact same opportunity to excel at any craft we want. Some have the talent, desire, and drive. Some don't. Some make it, some don't. It's really that simple.
This friend with the free link, he works for one of the "big three" auto makers. I wonder what he would say if every fourth or fifth automobile was taken off the line and given away. Or better yet, given to someone that is getting paid to give your product away. That is how these free streaming sites do their business. They get paid by advertisers to give stolen stuff away.  I don't know. I'm thinking, treat others the way you want to be treated. I don't look down on this guy. It's just not for me.

I don't know if, at any time, my incoherent rambling made any sense to anybody. I do know, somebody agrees with me. I just can't get the thoughts out of my head and on to the screen. Whatever. Do the right thing.

4 comments:

  1. I agree. If you think someone is overpaid, boycott the industry rather than steal it. I'd like to see a baseball fan stop watching games because player X makes too much money. Wait, come to think of it I stopped watching anything with Joe Buck associated with it. O.k. I'm on a tangent here but I agree, it costs money to do things so if you can't afford to purchase the fight go outside and play with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surly-Whatchu got against the giant headed Mr. Buck?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to wish Mrs. Mike good luck Sunday on the marathon. Looks like the weather will be great for a little 26.2 mile run with thousands of your closest friends. Feed off the crowds and let them carry you home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I am nervous and happy all at the same time! I will be doing a guest post on here after the marathon, so stay tuned!

    All my love,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete