Monday, September 13, 2010

Scatter Blast

So, it has been two weeks since the last post. There has been lots to write about and not much time to do it.

Labor Day weekend was a blast. The whole family, including Mom & Dad, went to "The Farm" and the weather could not have been nicer. The Farm is a small piece of Heaven owned by my friends father-in-law. It is about forty acres sitting next to a forty acre pond about two hours from our house.. There are only two other property owners with land surrounding this pond. It is beautiful and seclusive. We try to get out and camp there five or six times a year, weather permitting. We also hunt there in the fall and winter. Anyway, about thirty five people camped Labor Day weekend. Kids got to swim, adults got to relax. We all got to do some fishing and we played some "Minute to Win it" games. A good time was had by all.

An old friend of mine contacted me and asked me if I would be interested in contributing to his blog. It is a full blown political blog. As interested as I may be in my conservative politics, I don't think I'm cut out for political commentary. I will probably say no for now. We will see what the future brings. I  need to take some grammar and punctuation classes.

I had to waste a personal day this week. I actually was sick. I had a sinus infection of the worst kind. My head felt like it was filled with lead shot and I had a low grade fever. I didn't see any sense in getting everybody else at work sick, so I stayed in bed for about twenty hours and stuck it out for the rest of the week. Feeling better, but, Mrs. Mike is catching it. This is NOT helping her marathon training. She's got twenty mile this Saturday, then she starts to taper down for the race on Oct. 10. Wish her luck.

Friday, my friend says to me, "What are you doing tomorrow?" I reply, "I dunno, why?" He says, "Wanna go to Eldora?" "Um, OK."   So, we leave about noon on Saturday for the four hour drive. We had a great time. I haven't been there since 2004. For those of you not familiar, this is the best dirt track in the world. That is FACT, not opinion. Since 2004, Tony Stewart bought the facility and improved perfection. So freakin cool. This weekend was the 40th Annual World 100 dirt late model race. There are usually over 200 cars trying to qualify for a spot in one of the six heat races. Each heat has twenty four cars and is 15 laps. No more boring details. Let me tell you, Billy Moyer and Scott Bloomquist put on an absolute dirt car clinic. I don't think these guys are human. The only clue was Billy Moyer had to race his way in to the main event through the last chance race. He started the main event 23rd and won! He is so smooth. You know, when you were a kid, and Grandpa would shift that old "three on the tree" Ford pickup and not spill a single drop of beer from the freshly opened can between his legs. That kind of smooth. Only these guys are doing it at about 140 m.p.h. and throwing it sideways and steering with their right foot at about 110 m.p.h. The only thing cooler on this track are winged sprint cars. I can't even begin to describe that.


Yep, that's a split arrow. Just like Robin Hood.
 My bow is tuned and ready. Six inch groups at 25 yards. Good enough for me. I cut and glued my own arrows this time. Not a big accomplishment, but it is my accomplishment. They came out nice and they fly straight and true. I'll keep shooting about a dozen or so arrows every night to keep the rust away. Opening day for deer is Oct. 1. It's time to stock the freezer. I hope my hunting gear still fits!

An old friend of mine gave me a plug a while ago. I call him Chief. His blogs are great and you will never regret checking in and reading his stuff. He had a nice write up about him in his local paper. He is one of the good ones your old goofy uncle tells you about. I have never met a better human being than he. Please check him out here. I plan to tell some stories of vacations that he took me and Surly on. Chief was a huge part of my adolescent life and one of the most influential persons of my past and future. Thank you, Sir.

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. I recall a picture similar to that of four guys in a lake somewhere out west, a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that pic somewhere. I haven't scanned everything to the computer yet. I remember it like it was yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words. We did have some fun.

    Hope Mrs. Mike doesn't suffer too much from the illness. We're wishing her all the best in the marathon.

    ReplyDelete